Guys, have I told you lately how much I love engagement sessions? You might be tired of hearing it by now, but I really, really do, and here are a few reasons why:
First, engagement sessions give you an opportunity to get to know and trust your photographer. I get to see how you interact as a couple, and you’ll get to see how I coach you to be comfortable in front of the camera.
Plus, the time between your engagement and your wedding is such a special time for you as a couple! I’ve had some couples tell me they treasure their engagement photos just as much as their wedding album.
If you are recently engaged, here are a few tips for making sure you get the most out of your engagement session — and have the most fun!
1. Choose a location that means something to you, so the photos are a reflection of who you really are as a couple. Think about activities you enjoy doing together and places you like to go. This couple chose Allegro Coffee because he proposed to her in a coffee shop!
2. Bonus points for bringing meaningful props. In this case, the lattes were pretty awesome — but I especially loved that they brought the actual book he used to propose, complete with a handmade cutout in the center where he tied the ring. (Guys, if you’re looking for a cool proposal idea and you both love books, you’re welcome.)
3. I recommend two outfits, one more dressy and one more casual. (Seriously, can you get enough of this tulle skirt??) We can also move to a second location once you change, so you’ll have more variety in your shots. For this session, we walked to a nearby graffiti wall and drove a few blocks to a park.
4. An engagement session is a great day to have your makeup done! Consider it a test run for your wedding day, so you can see how professional makeup looks in photographs. That gives you time to decide whether you want to change anything later.
5. Make it a date night! Since you’re all dressed up up and looking amazing, plan a dinner date somewhere fun you haven’t been before and enjoy your time together!